Monday, August 17, 2009

Alfred Hitchcock's Inspiration

Why hello all, I am writing on my laptop in my small, shared room, fan on high, Indian soap opera on in the background, and crows mean-mugging me from my barred window. These birds are something else.

Let me just say that I was never a big fan of crows to begin with. Their scavenger ways coupled with a seemingly devious intelligence always spooked me just a bit. About sixteen million people packed into Kolkata with plenty of trash available was kind of like a bulls eye for these birds so the city is packed full of crows, pidgins, and cridgins all looking to eat and poop everywhere. (Out of the four students living in my apartment, three of the four have gotten hit, including yours truly). For example, the other day I went onto the roof of our apartment around five pm to take a picture of the sky after a thunderstorm had just passed through. I opened the door, and was surrounded by crows on ledges, rooftops, weathervanes, you name it, and there were crows sitting there. So I stepped outside the door and the birds started squawking and flying about like they had to fall back to the trenches from the new threat and I snapped a picture and bid a hasty retreat, because I’m not afraid to say that I nervous like Harry putting on that Sorting Hat for the first time. Crows I can do without.

Despite those crafty crows, I love India so far. I’m becoming accustomed to the traffic (which is the biggest threat to visitor’s my Lonely Planet bible tells me); exploring the metro, trying food and desserts, studying the language and other exciting study abroad experiential things. Shit, you know, like a real liberal artsy education or something.

First day of service was today and now I have class, so I’m going to run. So in light of the amount of Spanish I used today in the “real world”, which is the most I’ve ever used outside of class due to the international background of Mother Teresa’s organizations, Hasta Luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment